Monday, April 19, 2010

Lean Cuisine Macaroni and Cheese




I'm always extremely wary of low-calorie versions of high-calorie foods. There's a reason delicious foods so often have high calorie counts, and I find that it's better to enjoy a small quantity of the high-calorie version than a whole lot of the low-cal. That said, who doesn't secretly wish for a less fattening version of their favorite food?


Lean Cuisine describes this product as "Tender macaroni in a creamy cheddar cheese sauce." I don't know how creamy or cheesy something with under 300 calories can be, but I'm keeping an open mind. Users on the Lean Cuisine website have given this mac and cheese a rating of 3/5, which is slightly promising, but I also have to keep in mind that these are people who are probably dieting and therefore used to eating blander food than the rest of us.

Halfway through the cooking process.

Ready for eating. Looks delicious. Too bad it wasn't.

Ratings

Flavor: 1/5. I don't even know if I should have given any points because there was literally no flavor. None. I might as well have been eating thick orange water on pasta and I probably was.

Consistency: 4/5. Despite the horrible flavor, the sauce was relatively thick and appeared creamy. Unfortunately, good consistency means nothing when the flavor is as bad as this was.

Pasta Shape: 3/5. Elbows: a safe but solid choice.

Overall: 1/5. Normally, I give consideration to all factors equally when determining this ranking. However, the flavor was so disappointing and terrible that nothing could remotely redeem this mac and cheese (if you could even call it that). Do not buy this under any circumstance. If you're really trying to watch calories, buy a better mac and cheese and save half of it for another meal.

Nutrition Information: 290 Calories, 60 Calories from Fat; 7g Fat, 4g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat; 20mg Cholesterol; 620mg Sodium; 41g Carbohydrate; 2g Fiber; 8g Sugars; 15g Protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment